Saturday, March 27, 2010

Book #20: Something Borrowed

20 of 100 completed! 1/5th of the way!

The plot of Something Borrowed, in my own terms: "My best friend is a jerk. Oh no, I accidentally slept with her fiance. But now I love him! We love each other! Awesome! What now? Let's just let the wedding date get closer and closer. So what if they're supposed to get married? LET'S JUST HAVE FUN BECAUSE I LOVE HIM YES AWESOME I DESERVE IT BECAUSE MY FRIEND IS A JERK FACE."

True enough, in some regards. The MC's best friend is a jerk. In fact, she has been a jerk for the 20-odd years that they have been best friends. I don't honestly care if she deserved it or not: the moment the realization that the MC and her best friend's fiance loved each other the wedding should have been called off. But NO. That would be too logical.

Possibly it's an okay book and the content just rubbed me the wrong way, because the writing itself wasn't horrible and I enjoyed it enough to keep reading. But... it all seemed so. freaking. stupid. I can't bring myself to read the next book in the series, which is narrated by the best friend. I have no idea why anyone talks to her at all, because she is such a big jerk. Well, besides the fact that she's stunningly beautiful.

My favorite character was Ethan. He seems to be the only one who isn't completely off his rocker.


"Yeah, it's funny the way the Brits don't celebrate our independence from them... But it's a holiday in my heart, Rachel." (128)

2 comments:

  1. My mom felt the exact same way!

    I can't believe this, am I the only one who actually loved it? :P

    Read the sequel. Just dooooo. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I might as well, because I do own it already. Maybe it'll grow on
    me.

    ReplyDelete