Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Book #15: How to Ditch Your Fairy

I can't recall how long How to Ditch Your Fairy sat waiting for me to read it, but I'd venture... a year, maybe? A long time, anyway, but after the heft that was East of Eden, this was a good choice. It may not have changed my life, but it was definitely a fun book.

For one, I love the background of the story. I like the minor changes in language and slang, and I like the idea of New Avalon. And the fairies! It's a neat concept.

All in all, though, I think it could have been a little better. I didn't really understand what was so great about the love interest--he seemed one-dimensional to me somehow. What the heck did Stupid-Name's mother do at the end to fix things? Embarassingly, I can't remember any of the characters' names.

Which isn't to say that I didn't enjoy this book. I did, and I would recommend it to the imaginary friends that book review forms at school always refer to. The few qualms I have don't take away from the fact that this is a fun book. It just wasn't... breathtaking, I suppose. But not all books can be, or even should be, in my opinion. It was a light read, and better than many books out there. It was entertaining.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the exact same way about this one. It was a light read, I remember loving it - but I actually can't remember any names either. But that's okay!
    I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete