Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Book #14: East of Eden

I'm getting behind on posting these, but I assure you I'm still reading!

I purchased a used copy of East of Eden several months ago. At the time I had been looking for The Great Gatsby, which I blogged about here previously, to no prevail; I ended up having to purchase a new copy, which irked me, but I'm dithering now.

I had read one Steinbeck novel before this one, Of Mice and Men, but I can't say it enamored me with his work. This changed things. While I'm sure many allegorical elements went directly over my head, I enjoyed the story (and the allegory that didn't drift off into the clouds) immensely. Steinbeck's descriptions are are beautiful, for one. And the storyline! Dear me.

It may not have left me breathless, but I nevertheless loved it. Also, I want Lee for a grandfather or something. My favorite character.

Be sure to check out the YouTube video that put it into my head to read this, because it's excellent.


"I don't know, damn you. You've disturbed my pretty little universe. You've taken a contentious game and made an answer of it. Let me alone--let me think!" (311)

2 comments:

  1. This is still sitting right there, waiting for me to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tis a good thing books are patient in their waiting, at least most of the time. :P

    ReplyDelete