Friday, March 26, 2010

Book #16: Wintergirls

Wintergirls. Wow. This is such a beautiful novel. Which sounds wrong considering the subject, and even the novel itself, but I found it to be beautiful. I became Lia as she spoke.

The way her words flow, the way she thinks, the pain and trials she suffers... it is all so horrible but beautiful in the almost lyrical way it is told. The whole story feels so real and true, and sad. I am enraptured by it.


I am shiny and pink inside, clean. Empty is good. Empty is strong. (7)

she called me thirty-three times. (31)

The blanket has finally heated up and I bury myself under it. My mouse tummy whimpers because she forced almost a thousand calories into me. (162)

Adrenaline kicks in when you're starving. That's what nobody understands. Except for being hungry and cold, most of the time I feel like I can do anything. (189)

2 comments: