Monday, January 4, 2010

Book #2: Little Stalker

I finished Little Stalker last night, on my Kindle (still major 'Eeeeeeee!' factor there). One of the reasons I chose it, to be honest, was that it was four dollars and some cents for Kindle. I admit it, I'm cheap, even if The Magnificent Kindle may be an Extravagant Awesomeness.

If I'm not mistaken (but let's be honest here, I often am), Meg Cabot (an author) mentioned Little Stalker on her blog. I can't recall what was said about it, but it must have been enough for me to have put it on my wishlist, because... well. It was on my wishlist. [edit: I searched my RSS reader and found it was actually Sarah Dessen. I told you so!]

Ultimately, I'm pretty disappointed in this book. While I didn't hate it, it left me unfulfilled. The plot/story never felt real to me. I didn't like the main character's boyfriend, or that the way she let things carry on with Arthur Weeman as they did without alerting someone. Her father was frustrating, and it seems to me he shouldn't be allowed to practice medicine if he can't remember anything. There were a lot of subplots spread to and fro about the novel, which just made it more confusing. The only thing I really liked about the book was Mrs. Williams.

So... I didn't like it much. I could sit here all day listing things I didn't understand or frustrated me, but I'm not. It was quirky, certainly, but... eh. That's all I have to say. I really don't want to go on.

Which isn't to say you wouldn't like it. I hate not liking things. I'd love to love it, but I didn't. I'm conflicted.

On a less confusing note, I started reading Little Women today. I've seen many movie versions of it (love the one with Katharine Hepburn! Ahh!) and read an abridged edition in fourth grade, but I've never read it in its entirety. Loving it so far.

[and tomorrow's my birthday. I feel I must say this as often as possible.]

7 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY. And yay! I'm starting Slaugterhouse Five tonight. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. and by Slagterhouse Five I mean Slaughterhouse-Five. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! :) And darn you, that's another book I've been meaning to read. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought it because it was about $4 at Waldenbooks. Balanced out the $16 I spent on The Thirteenth Tale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...I have that on my reading list, too.

    I think we really must be long lost twins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean, sis, same thing with me. But disliking a book is okay! Think of it this way: you were able to finish it, even while not enjoying it all that much. So hurray for that!

    :D

    ReplyDelete