Sunday, January 3, 2010

Book #1: The Kite Runner

I completed The Kite Runner last night. See, this is where it gets difficult. Do I review my 100 books, as well? Just say 'I read them'? I'm thinking I may have to find a happy medium somewhere, because the latter seems too little and the former I'm really bad at.

Here are my thoughts. I was intrigued at first, drawn in by the storyline and unfamiliar setting. However, when it came to the 'tragedy' that the main character is haunted by throughout the rest of the novel, I just... It was difficult for me to go on. There was much complaining and angst, as I moped around the house and my mother made me set a goal to keep going.

When I managed to get through that part, though, it wasn't as bad. I was again drawn into the story as the main character, Amir, transitions and 'grows up', as it were. By that point I couldn't put it down, and finished it yesterday evening.

As I noted in my last post, this was required reading for my English class. So while I'm ultimately glad I read it, I'm still hesitant to recommend it. I'll tell you this in truth, though: of the books I have had to read in English this year, I liked it the most (though I'm not sure how much that is saying, considering the other contenders).

It was a dark, emotional book, so it really depends on how you stomach such things. One of the reasons I was frustrated to have to read is because of just that: if I'm going to (potentially) be turned inside out at any point in a novel, I want to do it on my own terms.

Basically, I have no idea. I told you I'd be no good at this.

3 comments:

  1. First off, awesome that you're doing this!!

    And I totally know what you mean. When I have to read a book for school, no matter how much I love reading, I don't want to do it. And I tend to dislike the book on principle.

    So I'm sad you *had* to read this because it's such an awesome book and I think that if you'd read it because you simply wanted to you would have appreciated it more. I do recommend his second, A Thousand Splendid Suns.

    You can do this Kat! I'm cheering for you. :D

    Aaand I'm joining you in your quest.

    Good luck and never give up!

    Love you sis <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. :/


    And: YAY, YAY, YAY you're doing it too! I was recruited by someone else (http://ashleyreads.wordpress.com/) and now you're doing it, awesome, awesome, awesome. Love you, sis! This is going to be awesome. :D:D:D:D:DD

    <3

    (have I said awesome enough?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome is an awesome word.

    This *is* going to be awesome :D

    ReplyDelete